About the Photographs Collection
The Denver Public Library’s Western History/Genealogy Department collection of digitized photographs (formerly Photoswest) chronicles the people, places and events that shaped the settlement and growth of the Western United States. It is representative of works of many outstanding photographers. Subjects include Native Americans, pioneers, railroads, mining, Denver and Colorado towns, Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, and the 10th Mountain Division ski troops. New images continue to be added, chronicling the ongoing development of Western America.
Use Simple Search: to enter one or more words in the basic search box.
Results will be a list of records that contain those words anywhere in the record.
Refine your results in the left column by collection, creator, date, subject or format.
Use Advanced Search:
- to search one or more specific fields (such as creator or subject)
- Perry, Otto / Creator
- Rio Grande Railroad / Subject
- to select: “all of the words,” or “any of the words,” or “the exact phrase,” or “none of the words”
- to select specific collections
- “10th Mountain Division Records”
- “Photographs – Western History”
- To limit your search by format: select the “Format-Medium” field and limit your search to any of the following:
- Building plans and drawings
- Historical object
For more information about the collection or to purchase images, contact the Photo Sales staff at email@example.com or 720-865-1818.