NAME OF AREA
LOC. CODE NO,
Walter S.Cheesman Park
8th Ave. *t Franklin
SWi of NW£, and the NWi of SE£ of Sec. 2, T K S, R 68 W
1872-1873 - City received U.S.Land Patent for 160 Acres
at $1.25 per acre, including Congress Park and Botanic
Gardens. 1890 - An Aet of Congress to acquire lands for
a "burial place" was amended to "for a public park" and
in 1893 all bodies were removed. 1895 - City accepted
lands from U. S., vacated them as a cemetery and established
them as a park. Also included was ko acre site to the east,
Mt. Calvary Cemetery. Park was named "Congress Park".
1900-1907 - Development started with trees & lawn.
1907 - $100,000.00 Roman Doric Pavilion of Colorado Yule
Marble, built from Walter M. Cheesman Estate and name
changed from Congress to Cheesman Park. Mountain View
Indicator donated by Colorado Mountain Club. 1955 -
Water system partially replaced & pavilion restored by
1955 Bond Fund. Fully developed.
Park by deed.